GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"An In-Depth View On Autism"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 10/07/04 at 21:59
Regular
"??????"
A VIEW ON AUTISM

As some of you may already know, Autism is a condition which can be related to other conditions, including AD/HD, ADD, and Aspergers Syndrome.

I have asked several people, without them knowing that I have been diagnosed as an Autistic, their views on the subject. Here are the results:

"I can understand their problems. They have to be helped somehow"
"Rubbish. They're just finding something to blame their problems on."
"I am Autistic myself. I really feel that more should be done to help Autistics"
"I'm not denying that some have problems, but if all the ones who claimed to have Autism really did, they would be distanced from everyone else and have pretty severe contact disorders"
"This is a problem, and we have to deal with it. Autistics need and deserve more respect than they get and should be accepted as general members of society"
"I don't know. Some do, some don't, I can only tell with the really serious ones"
"There are only two types of people - the normal people and the really bad Autistics. There's no in-between"

As you can see from these results, in general the public opinion is fairly positive. Perhaps another survey on a broader scale will be carried out in the near future.

Allow me to make a point which is not exactly widely known, to say the least. It can be summed up in four words: WE ALL HAVE AUTISM, with Aspergers apparently being the most existant. Yes, we all have it. Each and every single one of us is technically Autistic. However, before I cause a mass panic, I must also point out that if the Autism only shows of an average amount (which is usually barely noticed) in one specific person, that person is not OFFICIALLY classified as being Autistic. Should, however, the Autism be more then slightly over the average level of apparency and it is medically proven, the person IS officially classified as Autistic.

Many people believe that various films contain material which relates to the behaviour of Autistic people in reality. I recall hearing of a film called "Rain Man", in which there was apparently an Autistic lead character. DON'T assume that anythign which he does is what all Autisitcs do. Some of them - maybe. All of them - most certainly not.

People with Autism may, and this is quite possibly the most well-known thing about Autism, appear to act erratically at times, and behave in ways which, as with many things relating to people's views on Autistics, "different".

Here is some information on possible problems due to Autism.

Problem: The person may believe virtually anything and is unable to distinguish the difference between a true fact and a joke.
How others may see it: The person appears to merely be very gullible.

Problem: The person may have problems with eye contact.
How others may see it: The person is ignorant, and/or is deliberately being distracted.

In closing, I have six very good points to make about the subject:

1: Autistic people are not aliens. They should therefore be accepted as normal people wherever possible.
2: Autism can occur on various levels, and this must always be remembered when in reference to the subject.
3: If you are Autistic, listen to no-one being offensive about it. This is manageable, if difficult at first.
4: Autistic people are NOT necessarily insane. Autism and insanity are in no way directly linked.
5: Autistic people, although slightly different to others, are still human beings. Treat them as such.
6: "Different", "Weird", "Insane" and "Stupid" are not the only words usable when describing Autistics, although they are treated as such by many.

Thank you.

By the way - should you have any further questions on the subject, I shall attempt to answer them if possible.

One question which I cannot, however, like everyone else, is "What exactly causes it". My apologies, but more research has to be done, and the answer may never truly become apparent.
Sat 10/07/04 at 21:59
Regular
"??????"
A VIEW ON AUTISM

As some of you may already know, Autism is a condition which can be related to other conditions, including AD/HD, ADD, and Aspergers Syndrome.

I have asked several people, without them knowing that I have been diagnosed as an Autistic, their views on the subject. Here are the results:

"I can understand their problems. They have to be helped somehow"
"Rubbish. They're just finding something to blame their problems on."
"I am Autistic myself. I really feel that more should be done to help Autistics"
"I'm not denying that some have problems, but if all the ones who claimed to have Autism really did, they would be distanced from everyone else and have pretty severe contact disorders"
"This is a problem, and we have to deal with it. Autistics need and deserve more respect than they get and should be accepted as general members of society"
"I don't know. Some do, some don't, I can only tell with the really serious ones"
"There are only two types of people - the normal people and the really bad Autistics. There's no in-between"

As you can see from these results, in general the public opinion is fairly positive. Perhaps another survey on a broader scale will be carried out in the near future.

Allow me to make a point which is not exactly widely known, to say the least. It can be summed up in four words: WE ALL HAVE AUTISM, with Aspergers apparently being the most existant. Yes, we all have it. Each and every single one of us is technically Autistic. However, before I cause a mass panic, I must also point out that if the Autism only shows of an average amount (which is usually barely noticed) in one specific person, that person is not OFFICIALLY classified as being Autistic. Should, however, the Autism be more then slightly over the average level of apparency and it is medically proven, the person IS officially classified as Autistic.

Many people believe that various films contain material which relates to the behaviour of Autistic people in reality. I recall hearing of a film called "Rain Man", in which there was apparently an Autistic lead character. DON'T assume that anythign which he does is what all Autisitcs do. Some of them - maybe. All of them - most certainly not.

People with Autism may, and this is quite possibly the most well-known thing about Autism, appear to act erratically at times, and behave in ways which, as with many things relating to people's views on Autistics, "different".

Here is some information on possible problems due to Autism.

Problem: The person may believe virtually anything and is unable to distinguish the difference between a true fact and a joke.
How others may see it: The person appears to merely be very gullible.

Problem: The person may have problems with eye contact.
How others may see it: The person is ignorant, and/or is deliberately being distracted.

In closing, I have six very good points to make about the subject:

1: Autistic people are not aliens. They should therefore be accepted as normal people wherever possible.
2: Autism can occur on various levels, and this must always be remembered when in reference to the subject.
3: If you are Autistic, listen to no-one being offensive about it. This is manageable, if difficult at first.
4: Autistic people are NOT necessarily insane. Autism and insanity are in no way directly linked.
5: Autistic people, although slightly different to others, are still human beings. Treat them as such.
6: "Different", "Weird", "Insane" and "Stupid" are not the only words usable when describing Autistics, although they are treated as such by many.

Thank you.

By the way - should you have any further questions on the subject, I shall attempt to answer them if possible.

One question which I cannot, however, like everyone else, is "What exactly causes it". My apologies, but more research has to be done, and the answer may never truly become apparent.
Sat 10/07/04 at 23:56
Regular
You're not me, are you?

Hm. Anyway, I'm really confused. I don't like eyecontact and I usually take whatever someone says seriously. Does this make me autistic? Should I go tip some straws on the floor and try to count them quickly?

"1: Autistic people are not aliens. They should therefore be accepted as normal people wherever possible."

Ok, so when are we allowed to not accept them as humans? That confused me too.

"2: Autism can occur on various levels, and this must always be remembered when in reference to the subject."

Um. Okey. What levels?

"3: If you are Autistic, listen to no-one being offensive about it. This is manageable, if difficult at first."

Well, that's fair enough, but wouldn't you be afraid of cutting out people with good opinions and insight? Just because they're offensive doesn't make them wrong.

"4: Autistic people are NOT necessarily insane. Autism and insanity are in no way directly linked."

Phew.

"5: Autistic people, although slightly different to others, are still human beings. Treat them as such."

Didn't we... never mind.

"6: "Different", "Weird", "Insane" and "Stupid" are not the only words usable when describing Autistics, although they are treated as such by many."

Okey doke.

Just to clarify, I'm -really- confused. Autistic people are humans, that I completely agree with, but I'm not sure I've learnt anything here. What's autism, how can I spot if myself or my friend is autistic, and is there anyway I can help him, if indeed he's suffering with his lifestyle?
Sun 11/07/04 at 02:00
Regular
"Subliminal messenge"
I disagree strongly with the way that many people label something that may be different wrong. How can we prove that we, the mass majority, are not mentally disabled, and that it is the autistics who can see clealy?

Imagine that you can see red and blue, but no other colours. A person who is different can only see green and yellow. There are more people who can see red and blue, than those who can see green and yellow. Does the fact that there are more of them make them right? It could be, that in reality, red = yellow and blue = green. And that we only see red and blue only because of our inperfect design. I am not talking about colour blindness here, I am just using an example.

However, the fact that there are far more people who can see blue and red, means that the society and world that has been created is made for those who can see those colours. The people who can see yellow and green may find it difficult to live in this world, because it is not built with them in mind. But what if we, the mass majority, weren't the mass majority? What if there were more people with autism than people without it? Maybe we would become the autistics, and they would become normal. I don't believe that they are in any way less perfect than us, in my opinion they are completely equal. In some cases, they can be less capable than us because they have been born in to a world that is not built for them.

Remember - Nature is a hard teacher because it gives the test first, and the lesson afterwards.
Sun 11/07/04 at 07:26
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Galacticdramon wrote:

As far as i'm aware Autism is not a condition in itself but a descriptive term for the behaviour resulting from other conditions, autism is used to describe childlike, irrational, obcessive, compulsive behaviour resulting from other illness's.
My sister has a condition called TS ( I can't spell the proper version and neither can the doctors) she has multiple benign tumours or calcifications on her brain and organs, this causes her to behave like a child so she is classed as austistic, it is not a illness in itself.

>"I can understand their problems. They have to be helped somehow"
They can't be unless you can treat what made them ill in the first place.

>"Rubbish. They're just finding something to blame their problems on."
Oh dear:(

>"I am Autistic myself. I really feel that more should be done to help Autistics"

Most people who are properly austistic don't have the mental capacity to understand autism or care for that matter, they are children.

>"I'm not denying that some have problems, but if all the ones who claimed to have Autism really did, they would be distanced from everyone else and have pretty severe contact disorders"

No theyre treated like any other mentally disabled member of society, kept at arms length.

>"This is a problem, and we have to deal with it. Autistics need and deserve more respect than they get and should be accepted as general members of society"

Thats just not going to happen unless all the idiots get washed away in a storm.

>"I don't know. Some do, some don't, I can only tell with the really serious ones"

Largely so can i, although if you are around the mild cases you'll see soon enough, they tend to follow a set pattern and can get very easily upset.

>"There are only two types of people - the normal people and the really bad Autistics. There's no in-between"

Nonsense

>Allow me to make a point which is not exactly widely known, to say the >least. It can be summed up in four words: WE ALL HAVE AUTISM, with >Aspergers apparently being the most existant. Yes, we all have it. Each >and every single one of us is technically Autistic. However, before I >cause a mass panic, I must also point out that if the Autism only shows >of an average amount (which is usually barely noticed) in one specific >person, that person is not OFFICIALLY classified as being Autistic. >Should, however, the Autism be more then slightly over the average level >of apparency and it is medically proven, the person IS officially >classified as Autistic.

It's all to do with impulse control and a balance of some chemical in the brain, it's a similar one to the one that causes Tourettes although how autism is measured is beyond me, i've never heard of any test, it's down to a judgment call by your doctor.

>Many people believe that various films contain material which relates to >the behaviour of Autistic people in reality. I recall hearing of a film >called "Rain Man", in which there was apparently an Autistic lead >character. DON'T assume that anythign which he does is what all Autisitcs >do. Some of them - maybe. All of them - most certainly not.

That would be Idiot savant autism, an inability to cope with the world but obcessive talents for memory and numbers and such things

>People with Autism may, and this is quite possibly the most well-known >thing about Autism, appear to act erratically at times, and behave in >ways which, as with many things relating to people's views on >Autistics, "different".

>1: Autistic people are not aliens. They should therefore be accepted as >normal people wherever possible.
It's not possible to treat them as adults unless ofcourse you are referring to minor cases

>2: Autism can occur on various levels, and this must always be remembered >when in reference to the subject.
Yes different levels but it should be obvious to anyone when you're talking to someone autistic.

>3: If you are Autistic, listen to no-one being offensive about it. This >is manageable, if difficult at first.
Fully autistic people don't care, they are kids and are oblivious to that sort of thing or quickly forget.

>4: Autistic people are NOT necessarily insane. Autism and insanity are in >no way directly linked.
Theyre not insane at all just ill, but then any sort of mental illness can be called insanity to an exstent.

>5: Autistic people, although slightly different to others, are still >human beings. Treat them as such.
Well obviously
Sun 11/07/04 at 09:47
Regular
"??????"
Flockhart, not all Autistics are kids. Autistics are Autistic all their life, and it never fully disappears.

Also, you said "Most people who are properly austistic don't have the mental capacity to understand autism or care for that matter, they are children".

This is completely not true. Autism does NOT, in ANY way, affect mental capacity. In fact, in some cases Autism has actually been known to somehow IMPROVE intelligence and also memory.

You also said "No theyre treated like any other mentally disabled member of society, kept at arms length".

This is not necessarily a disability, which is one of the things which people do not, however much they should, understand. If the Autistic person needs to be distanced from others, so be it. Otherwise, this is wrong.

Finally, Flockhart, "Thats just not going to happen unless all the idiots get washed away in a storm"

Who are you referring to by "idiots"? If you mean the Autistics, the whole world must be idiots, theoretically speaking - which is obviously not true.
If however, you mean those who disrespect Autistics, I agree to a high level of agreement. This must be changed.

Now, in response to Grix Thraves:

Those symptoms would appear to indicate that you may indeed be Autistic. I would advise seeking the assistance of a social worker or someone an see how it goes from there.

Skorp1on, I completely agree. Hopefully such messages as this wll get across to those who don't fully understand the subject of Autism.
Sun 11/07/04 at 14:31
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Galacticdramon wrote:
> Flockhart, not all Autistics are kids. Autistics are Autistic all
> their life, and it never fully disappears.

Thats not what i meant, i said they are childlike, not children.

> Also, you said "Most people who are properly austistic don't
> have the mental capacity to understand autism or care for that
> matter, they are children".
>
> This is completely not true. Autism does NOT, in ANY way, affect
> mental capacity. In fact, in some cases Autism has actually been
> known to somehow IMPROVE intelligence and also memory.

You are correct that it doesn't affect capacity but it does affect their capacity to care about intelligence and yes some autistics are blessed with extraordinary memory and ability with numbers.

> You also said "No theyre treated like any other mentally
> disabled member of society, kept at arms length".
>
> This is not necessarily a disability, which is one of the things
> which people do not, however much they should, understand. If the
> Autistic person needs to be distanced from others, so be it.
> Otherwise, this is wrong.

Blame society, and i'm not refering to mildly autistic people, autism is a disability.

> Finally, Flockhart, "Thats just not going to happen unless all
> the idiots get washed away in a storm"
>
> Who are you referring to by "idiots"? If you mean the
> Autistics, the whole world must be idiots, theoretically speaking -
> which is obviously not true.
> If however, you mean those who disrespect Autistics, I agree to a
> high level of agreement. This must be changed.

I've already said my sister is autistic do you seriously think i was referring to autistic people ?
Sun 11/07/04 at 17:53
Regular
"??????"
Flockhart wrote:
> Galacticdramon wrote:
> Flockhart, not all Autistics are kids. Autistics are Autistic all
> their life, and it never fully disappears.
>
> Thats not what i meant, i said they are childlike, not children.

That's still not necessarily true for ALL Autistics. In fact, it certainly isn't.

> Also, you said "Most people who are properly austistic don't
> have the mental capacity to understand autism or care for that
> matter, they are children".
>
> This is completely not true. Autism does NOT, in ANY way, affect
> mental capacity. In fact, in some cases Autism has actually been
> known to somehow IMPROVE intelligence and also memory.
>
> You are correct that it doesn't affect capacity but it does affect
> their capacity to care about intelligence and yes some autistics are
> blessed with extraordinary memory and ability with numbers.

Numbers? It's a broader range than that, but I know what you mean. However, it doens't affect capacity to care about intelligence either.

> You also said "No theyre treated like any other mentally
> disabled member of society, kept at arms length".
>
> This is not necessarily a disability, which is one of the things
> which people do not, however much they should, understand. If the
> Autistic person needs to be distanced from others, so be it.
> Otherwise, this is wrong.
>
> Blame society, and i'm not refering to mildly autistic people, autism
> is a disability.

It can be, but it isn't always.

> Finally, Flockhart, "Thats just not going to happen unless all
> the idiots get washed away in a storm"
>
> Who are you referring to by "idiots"? If you mean the
> Autistics, the whole world must be idiots, theoretically speaking -
> which is obviously not true.
> If however, you mean those who disrespect Autistics, I agree to a
> high level of agreement. This must be changed.
>
> I've already said my sister is autistic do you seriously think i was
> referring to autistic people ?

I hadn't spotted that.
Sun 11/07/04 at 20:00
"period drama"
Do you realise that you failed to actually tell anyone anything about Autism in that post?
Mon 12/07/04 at 12:19
Regular
Yeah, I still don't really know what it is...
Mon 12/07/04 at 12:29
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
The former Mrs Light works with autistic kids and adults. Basically, in laymans terms;

Autism stops people learning social skills and social conditioning. For example, you or I know how to interact in todays society because we have an innate understanding of society's etiquette and social strictures, even though we've never been explicitly taught them; we just kinda pick it up as we go along. Autistic people can't do that; they are cut of from society by their inability to comprehend how it works. It's almost like they are locked up in their own consciousness and so cannot relate to anyone else.

That's a VERY basic oversimplification of how I understand autism anyway.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.