GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Royal Snail"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/07/04 at 21:17
Regular
Many many years ago, there was a time when our post was delivered on time. First class post was delivered by next day and second class the day after. It was delivered nice and early so that you had the time to see if any of it was important before heading off to school or work. If there was anything too big to fit through the door, the postman would knock or ring and hand over the parcel with a smile. I bet you're thinking, “Yeah right and they also each had their own black and white cat and delivered eggs and bacon?” Well that's how I remember the postal service when I was a little kid.

Now however, the Royal Mail are in a right state, especially since they were privatised a few years ago. In a local paper today there was an article on how certain areas are now part of a ‘reform' where mail will be delivered by around lunchtime however if you live in one of these areas you can arrange to collect your mail yourself at an earlier time. I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of thing is happening throughout the country. The cheek of it is, not only has this radical change been forced upon us, we were supposedly notified about the change ages ago. Funny, the first time I know about it is when I read my paper!

So what are we really paying for then in a postal service? Well way back when mail was delivered at a reasonable time, I remember First Class stamps, the ones that used to be in red ink, costing 19p. They now cost a minimum of 28p, and mail is lucky to be delivered within two days, and even then they're not delivered until midday . Second class stamps now cost a minimum of 21p. But why risk that when it could be months and months before it even turns up!

The Royal Mail service is a laugh. For guaranteed delivery by mid day the next day, you have to pay extra. But why should you when you're paying for a 1 st class service anyway? It's ridiculous! You wouldn't pay for first class seats on a plane only to find that you have to share your seat with Shrek and Fiona Ogre with the complimentary drinks being old and warm. So why should we receive a third world service for our first class mail?

This doesn't just inconvenience residential customers however. Businesses employ people to sort through the post and with this new reform in the service, businesses are losing lots of money on their staff who can do nothing but twiddle their thumbs until postie decides to turn up. One company in my local paper stated they lose £30,000 a week now thanks to Royal Mail.

Now I know I'm gonna have to wait until lunchtime on Friday for my two GBA games and Spider-man 2 for Xbox from SR and it's all because of Royal Snail.

Note: Originally posted on www.lorl.co.uk by myself
Fri 09/07/04 at 01:15
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
It is odd sometimes in my job. We work a 4 on 4 off and cross over with 2 other shifts. So, when I come on for a night the day shift leave and when I leave to go home they are back. It's odd to think they were sleeping while I was working.
Fri 09/07/04 at 01:08
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Goatboy wrote:
> It's just nice being out before a lot of people are awake.
> The streets are silent, it's just you and your thoughts.

That sounds like my kind of job.
Fri 09/07/04 at 01:08
Regular
"Puerile Shagging"
Goatboy wrote:
> Cyclone wrote:
> Ah, but what of when it rains?
> --------
>
> So you get wet a little, it doesn't kill you.

I spent half an hour in a graveyard talking to p!ssheads the public had complained about in torrential rain at work the other day. I now have a cold. I could die.
Fri 09/07/04 at 01:00
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I had other jobs just gave the two worse ones as examples. Usually i was on sorting but sometimes i got dragged down to those jobs.

Your office is obviously much different then the one i worked in then Goatboy. In my office there were 4 very distinct groups, the management, the late shift and the night shift and the temps all who hated each other. The temps got much of the abuse because having them there actually made the job twice as hard as you had to catch up on their mistakes (one time i had a whole trolley full of wrong bundled letters, exactly how hard is it to read a postcode and chuck letters into the corresponding trolley?)

The management were second as they were generally self important idiots stuck up their own ass too far to actually worry about the needs of the workers.

Then the late shift as they were lazy muppets. There was always tons of mail left over from that shift when we night shift workers arrived so we had to spend time covering that and then getting on with our work. Having done quite alot of overtime on the lates doing the handstamping work (hey, for £5.87 i wasn't complaining) i can see why so much mail was left over. People were more interested in talking about what was on the tv or running their own businesses on the side then actually bothering to get on with the work. The earlies and night shift were by no means saints but these slackers took the biscuit.

All of that led to alot of contempt and hatred (and as i mentioned earlier the manager who put up the opinion sheets with all the racist comments left in didn't exactly help matters) which is by no means the perfect working environment
Thu 08/07/04 at 13:52
Regular
"Which one's pink?"
Goatboy wrote:
> You nipple

How damning and concise.
Thu 08/07/04 at 13:47
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Coin wrote:
> Also, other people have jobs and if you want to deliver packages late
> (after you've had a confirmed time), screw you if they aren't in.
------

Recordeds, if you read my post instead of staring at the screen like a dog watching cartoons, they were recordeds.
No set/confirmed time for recordeds. Specials yes, and I had two of those that had to be before 12pm. Did them at 10:30am & 11am and nobody home, so that was their own fault having paid the extra and then not being at home. If you have a job, dont request before 12pm.
You nipple
Thu 08/07/04 at 13:37
Regular
"elsonar.co.uk"
i've been waiting 2 weeks for my gamecube coause of royal mailwake up this morning my mum says royal mail is closed the next couple of days (in n.ireland) because some decides to bomb them

Bah

Joe :)
Thu 08/07/04 at 11:42
"slightlyshortertagl"
I stole a Royal Mail Trolley, it's still in my mates' back garden...

Gotaboy, could you deliver a ransom note to the Royal Mail management on my behalf?

I'd like £100 for it :-P

Thu 08/07/04 at 11:20
Regular
Heh :D

I do understand what you're saying Goatboy - but my complaint isn't just from the media, it is from personal experience. For atleast five years we've never really had a regular time that the post would arrive - however two miles down the road, people are getting theres at a decent time. And if the posties are arriving at times when people are in work, then its no wonder they're not in when they deliver recorded delivery and so on.

There was a time when Royal Mail did provide a decent service consistently - its a shame that some areas are lacking nowadays.
Thu 08/07/04 at 04:05
Regular
"8==="
Ah it's all so clear now...

It's all because Goatboy works for them now. ;D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.