GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Old skool WWF question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/07/04 at 17:47
Regular
Does anyone know if the dvd release of Royal Rumble '89 and '90 contains the original commentary? Jesse Ventura was the guvnor back then and i'm worried they might have re-dubbed it with Jim Ross going on about another "slobberknocker" or some equally cliched line that he comes out with!
Thu 15/07/04 at 14:23
Regular
"..."
Of course I do, but I still didn't ask him!
Wed 14/07/04 at 23:39
Regular
"I like cheese"
Lol ummm do you not remember Starlight, Congie?
Wed 14/07/04 at 14:56
Regular
"..."
Who asked you?
Wed 14/07/04 at 00:13
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
The Rock is the best commentator and you knows it.

You clarts
Mon 12/07/04 at 13:51
Regular
"..."
No. JR is a relic and like Ric Flair needs to call it a day right now before he damages his own legacy. The greatest play by play announcer ever, for anyone keeping score, is actually Gordon Solie.
Sat 10/07/04 at 14:54
Regular
"Guess who..."
I totally disagree with you. I've heard them all, and Jim Ross is the finest play-by-play announcer to ever grace the wrestling world. My God, that guy puts his heart into it. Admittedly not as often now as in the past, but watching the old classics, when that guy shouts through that little ventriloquistic mouth, it really emphasizes the moment. For example, moments such as Jeff Hardy Swanton Bombing Bubba Ray Dudley through a table from a ladder or Stone Cold steve Austin winning the WWF Championship would have seemed nowhere near as effective were it not for J.R. That guy sells a move almost twice as good as the wrestler executing it. There's none like him, I'm telling you. He and King are the most incredible announce team ever. Better than Bobby 'the Brain', better than Vince McMahon, dare I say it, better than 'Mean' Gene Okerland and far better than Joey Styles, and that's coming from a long-time ECW fan. Believe me, J.R. IS the attitude era, and whether or not it's passed, there's no denying, it was a damn good era. Can I get an Amen?
Thu 08/07/04 at 15:51
Regular
"..."
Jim of Honor wrote:
> †hë_Çøñg_Mðñ wrote:
> Very_Metal wrote:
> yeah, but he and Heenan had such great chemistry.
>
> Disco Stu is spot on, there's just no fun in the commentary anymore,
> it's all plugging other stuff and half calling the match.
>
> Well hopefully when Jim Ross calls it a day, WWE will realise that
> The Coach is useless and be forced to hire Joey Styles...
>
> Oh God, no.
>
> If he was as good as he was in ECW for the late 1990s, then that'd be
> great, but have you heard him on the last few MLW tapings? Awful,
> really bad stuff. Getting hyper for no reason other than it's his
> 'gimmick', not being able to call the moves anymore, and making a
> point of the big leagues being terrible through large swathes of the
> tapings.
>
> Anyway, I'm pretty sure he'd turn it down if he was offered a WWE
> contract. He has before, I've heard, and beyond that, he's just not
> a popular guy to hire for most wrestlers, so it'd be a bad move, I
> reckon.
>
> Eric Garguilo and John House are my favourite team at the moment,
> because they each suit CZW down to the ground, although CM Punk is a
> superb guest colour commentator. Actually, Best Guest Commentator
> goes to Alex Shelley, because he's he smart, quick-witted and
> hilarious.
>
> So, in short, Jim Ross bad, Joey Styles better, but not much better.

Well, we could hope for Mike Tenay, the best commentator in wrestling today, but unfortunately he's under contract to TNA, the guy is so good he's even helping TNA's other commentators (who used to be worse than The Coach) become better as his skills rub off on them!
Wed 07/07/04 at 20:00
Regular
"One Man Landslide"
†hë_Çøñg_Mðñ wrote:
> Very_Metal wrote:
>
>
> Well hopefully when Jim Ross calls it a day, WWE will realise that
> The Coach is useless and be forced to hire Joey Styles...

Oh God, no.

If he was as good as he was in ECW for the late 1990s, then that'd be great, but have you heard him on the last few MLW tapings? Awful, really bad stuff. Getting hyper for no reason other than it's his 'gimmick', not being able to call the moves anymore, and making a point of the big leagues being terrible through large swathes of the tapings.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure he'd turn it down if he was offered a WWE contract. He has before, I've heard, and beyond that, he's just not a popular guy to hire for most wrestlers, so it'd be a bad move, I reckon.

Eric Garguilo and John House are my favourite team at the moment, because they each suit CZW down to the ground, although CM Punk is a superb guest colour commentator. Actually, Best Guest Commentator goes to Alex Shelley, because he's he smart, quick-witted and hilarious.

So, in short, Jim Ross bad, Joey Styles better, but not much better.
Wed 07/07/04 at 17:42
Regular
Well i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks the commentary is poor nowadays. Sadly its a just another example of the lowering in standards of wrestling today. I dont watch the WWE anymore now. Last time i looked, Vince had bought WCW, incorporated the belts into the WWE and generally made a real hash of things. I guess he doesnt care anyway, after all, he has no competition anymore from WCW.

The ways things are now is that virtually EVERYONE has held a championship belt at some point thus stripping any prestige holding a title had. Wrestlers now just dont seem to get the craft of it either. Its punch, kick, punch, maybe a body slam, another punch. I got into wrestling in the late eighties and you'd see pile drivers, spike pile drivers, suplexes, big elbows ( proper jumping ones not just pathetically falling down onto the opponent with your elbow out aka The Rock etc).

Dont get me wrong, theres some good talent out there, Chris Benoit being a prime example but they're all too shackled by the rushed plotlines and having to be good actors over good wrestlers. Vince needs to get back to basics. Less is most definitely more!!!
Wed 07/07/04 at 14:48
Regular
"..."
Very_Metal wrote:
>

Well hopefully when Jim Ross calls it a day, WWE will realise that The Coach is useless and be forced to hire Joey Styles...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.