GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] Halo 3 ODST"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Halo 3: ODST'.
Mon 28/09/09 at 03:00
Regular
Being the hardcore renter I am, I rented ODST at Blockbuster the on September 22nd the moment it opened. I returned the game back on Friday of that week.

-New Campaign, New Hero-

The campaign is far too short. I beat it on Legendary with some friends in about 5 hours. The levels get repetitive near the end as it feels like your going through the same area you did a few minutes ago. It feels like as if Bungie copied and pasted a segment and changed it up a little, if not none at all.

In the Campaign, you play as The Rookie. Yep, that's right! Your not the Master Chief anymore. You are now a more weaker, slower character than the Chief. You are an Orbital Drop Shock Trooper. The game takes place between Halo 2 and 3, where you are dropped down from above New Mombasa to take on a Covenant Ship. Although that's quite not what happened. You miss your target as the Covenant Ship goes into hyperspace, and you drop into New Mombasa. The Rookie has a hard landing, and he had a 99.9% chance of death. Yet, he survived anyhow. You awake from your drop pod 6 hours later in the dark streets of New Mombasa. Then you must search the city for clues about what happened to your squad. The game has 8 levels all together including the New Mombasa Streets, where you wander around looking for clues and fighting Covenant patrols along the way.

-Fight the Firefight-

So a new mode that's been added is a mode called Firefight. In Firefight, you play in an excerpt of a level and you hold off there fighting Covenant as long as you can, similar to Left 4 Dead's Survival Mode or Gear's of War 2's Horde mode. It's fun at first, but later on I got very bored just fighting Covenant over and over again. This mode is fun on short doses, but again, if your a hardcore gamer and play games nonstop, this mode will bore you eventually. The bad thing about this is that there is no Matchmaking, that means you'll have to find friends to play Firefight with you. Although that's not a big problem, since you can just ask on a forum relating to ODST and someone will respond probably. Again, Firefight will get boring in a while.

-Multiplayer! Wait, haven't I seen this before?-

ODST comes with 2 discs, one including the Campaign and Firefight, and the second including the entire Halo 3 multiplayer, that includes all the map packs. So if you already own Halo 3, and whether you have all the map packs or not, ODST will feel like a rip-off. Paying 60 dollars for a game that you already have. Sure, you get a new campaign and a new mode, but the multiplayer is the same.

-Prepare to Drop...This back at Blockbuster.-

Overall, the game kept me interested until I beat the campaign and played some Firefight, but then I felt like there was nothing left to do. Sure, achievements I could do but what about when your done with that? You could play Campaign or Firefight some more, but eventually you'll get bored of it. If you like Halo and you don't have Halo 3, consider picking this game up if you don't want to play Halo 3's campaign.
Mon 28/09/09 at 03:00
Regular
Being the hardcore renter I am, I rented ODST at Blockbuster the on September 22nd the moment it opened. I returned the game back on Friday of that week.

-New Campaign, New Hero-

The campaign is far too short. I beat it on Legendary with some friends in about 5 hours. The levels get repetitive near the end as it feels like your going through the same area you did a few minutes ago. It feels like as if Bungie copied and pasted a segment and changed it up a little, if not none at all.

In the Campaign, you play as The Rookie. Yep, that's right! Your not the Master Chief anymore. You are now a more weaker, slower character than the Chief. You are an Orbital Drop Shock Trooper. The game takes place between Halo 2 and 3, where you are dropped down from above New Mombasa to take on a Covenant Ship. Although that's quite not what happened. You miss your target as the Covenant Ship goes into hyperspace, and you drop into New Mombasa. The Rookie has a hard landing, and he had a 99.9% chance of death. Yet, he survived anyhow. You awake from your drop pod 6 hours later in the dark streets of New Mombasa. Then you must search the city for clues about what happened to your squad. The game has 8 levels all together including the New Mombasa Streets, where you wander around looking for clues and fighting Covenant patrols along the way.

-Fight the Firefight-

So a new mode that's been added is a mode called Firefight. In Firefight, you play in an excerpt of a level and you hold off there fighting Covenant as long as you can, similar to Left 4 Dead's Survival Mode or Gear's of War 2's Horde mode. It's fun at first, but later on I got very bored just fighting Covenant over and over again. This mode is fun on short doses, but again, if your a hardcore gamer and play games nonstop, this mode will bore you eventually. The bad thing about this is that there is no Matchmaking, that means you'll have to find friends to play Firefight with you. Although that's not a big problem, since you can just ask on a forum relating to ODST and someone will respond probably. Again, Firefight will get boring in a while.

-Multiplayer! Wait, haven't I seen this before?-

ODST comes with 2 discs, one including the Campaign and Firefight, and the second including the entire Halo 3 multiplayer, that includes all the map packs. So if you already own Halo 3, and whether you have all the map packs or not, ODST will feel like a rip-off. Paying 60 dollars for a game that you already have. Sure, you get a new campaign and a new mode, but the multiplayer is the same.

-Prepare to Drop...This back at Blockbuster.-

Overall, the game kept me interested until I beat the campaign and played some Firefight, but then I felt like there was nothing left to do. Sure, achievements I could do but what about when your done with that? You could play Campaign or Firefight some more, but eventually you'll get bored of it. If you like Halo and you don't have Halo 3, consider picking this game up if you don't want to play Halo 3's campaign.
Mon 28/09/09 at 09:25
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
Good reviews that you have posted so far. think this is the better of the 3, but it's nice to see some fresh entries on here.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.