GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just been thinking"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/06/04 at 23:29
Regular
"leaf it aaaaht"
I just been thinking about how some forms of art has remained popular despite being 100 years old. Students today are still studing Dickens, Chaucer and of course Shakespeare.

Maybe in 100 years times students will be studing the Harry Potter books and cursing JK Rowling for all the exams they have to take on her work!
Thu 17/06/04 at 23:44
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I've read [I[Strata[/I] - it was alright-ish.
Thu 17/06/04 at 23:02
Regular
Timmargh wrote:
> [URL]http://www.discworldmonthly.co.uk/[/URL] and subscribe to their
> email newsletter, it's pretty good - it has reviews, letters,
> competitions etc.

Will do.

Have you read Strata and The Dark Side of the Sun? They're sort of preludes to the Discworld series, though not strictly in it.
Thu 17/06/04 at 21:59
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Harry Potter is kids pulp nonsense. It's fun, but her 'imagination'
> has something to be desired.

I'd contest that...
Sure, the idea's aren't the most extremist and vivid you've ever seen, but they're implemented so seamlessly and make a perfect surrealistic sense.
The only other books I've seen pull this off so well are the Discworld ones.

In Harry Potter, you grow up with the characters which are all intertwined round the plot (rather than conviniently appearing and disappearing as the storyline requires) and resurface in interesting ways.

Characters change as you'd expect them too, as do situations... a realistic surrealism if you get what I'm saying...

It'll be interesting to see how she ends it all.
The recent one was good, but not as good as the two before it.
I've a feeling that she might be starting to get a little tired of it all...
Thu 17/06/04 at 13:56
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Mav wrote:
> Not yet. Just getting into the series actually, ...

Ah, a newbie ;^)

[URL]http://www.discworldmonthly.co.uk/[/URL] and subscribe to their email newsletter, it's pretty good - it has reviews, letters, competitions etc.
Thu 17/06/04 at 13:26
Regular
Paradox: wrote:
"I've not even read then but the cult following they've gathered stinks of modern classic to me."

haha

Harry Potter is kids pulp nonsense. It's fun, but her 'imagination' has something to be desired. I applaud the books, for getting kids reading, but calling them cult is rubbish, never mind modern classics.

It'd be interesting to have someone like Shakespeare existing today, writing books and what sort of influence he'd make, what words he'd use, how he'd structure them. Could you imagine someone writing a book about the Queen to impress her these days? It'd get laughed away.
Thu 17/06/04 at 13:17
Regular
Pandaemonium wrote:
> "His Dark Materials" will become IMHO a classic
> series.

Ah yes, another much more likely example. The cultural and social references such as those to the Catholic Church are cleverer than most.
Thu 17/06/04 at 13:15
Regular
Timmargh wrote:
> Have you read Monstrous Regiment? My dad read
> Nightwatch and said it was the best Discworld book he'd read -
> when I read it I heartily agreed. He's just finished Monstrous
> Regiment
and has said it's better.

Not yet. Just getting into the series actually, but the earlier books have a certain epic feel and a style of humour that makes them so much more likely to be representative of our time in one hundred years than Harry Potter.

The most likely book that falls under that category, however, would likely be The Lord of the Rings.
Thu 17/06/04 at 12:43
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
Harry potter is too overated and too childish to be a classic
Thu 17/06/04 at 11:22
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Mav wrote:
> I doubt Harry Potter books will gain such cultural status.
>
> The Discworld novels maybe.

Have you read Monstrous Regiment? My dad read Nightwatch and said it was the best Discworld book he'd read - when I read it I heartily agreed. He's just finished Monstrous Regiment and has said it's better.
Thu 17/06/04 at 11:02
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Paradox: wrote:
> I've not even read then but the cult following they've gathered
> stinks of modern classic to me.

Cult?! They are pop literature. You're entitled to your opinion, but we'll have to wait and see if they last the test of time.

I think not.

[edit] "His Dark Materials" will become IMHO a classic series.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.