GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Should Beckham take our Penalties?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/06/04 at 16:39
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Watching SkySports News earlier, I see their latest 'Yes/No' Interactive Vote is whether or not David Beckham should remain our regular penalty-kick taker after that miss against France on Sunday.

First of all, the majority of all votes went in his favour.
But then, the greater percentage edged over to 'No'.
And now.... Sorry, I don't know!

But, I did "waste" 25p+ on a text message voting in favour of a new spot-kick taker. Someone more accustomed to goal-scoring and driving the ball down the middle - much like Alan Shearer - rather than going for poncey old placement.

To tell you the truth, I've never really understood why he was chosen for any reason other than for the 'BS' and hype Sven-Goran Eriksson buys into, anyway! His free-kicks may be immaculate and he is captain, but does that
make him the ideal choice as "fans' favourite"?

I can't think of a single time he took on for Man. United OUTSIDE of a Charity Shield game. There was that one-time while he was on-loan at Preston a decade ago, and then there was that "Jonny Wilkinson" against Turkey - that's all I can recall before France.

Paul Scholes can really hit them. Michael Owen's our No.1 for finishing. When playing, Frank Lampard's had a 100% record for Chelsea this past season. I'm sure Steven Gerard could do the right thing when called upon. Wayne Rooney's fast-becoming everybody's favourite, and I'm sure even David James would know exactly where to put the ball...

I'm after your opinions on this matter, please. And, at 'no-price-to-pay', I'm after more than just a simple 'Yes' or 'No' answer, thanks.

Should David Beckham still be taking penalty kicks for England?

If not, who would you choose and why?

-----

Also, their are two opinions (as ever in these big games) as to what 'that' actually was.

In your opinion, was it a good save from Fabien Barthez, or, simply, a crap penalty from David Beckham?

As arrogant Englishman who are likely to stand behind their nonced-up Pop Idolic leader, I'd expect the major part of this country to be applauding "Broken-Nose" Barthez for his heroics, whatever the final result.

What do YOU think?
Sat 19/06/04 at 09:46
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
ßìggíË Li††lÊ jn® wrote:
> I dont think beckham should take our penalties. He always looks
> uncertain, remember Vs argentina he muffed the ball straight
> down the middle but was lucky to get the goal. Always, Vs
> Turkey
he tripped up and skied the ball miles over, and now,
> vs France he obviously went for "poncy placement"
> with no power. I reckon someone like owen should take the penalties
> as he is better coping with pressure, and if he misses, he wont get
> as much media bombardment than if beck's had missed. So no, Beckham
> should not take our penalties. who should we trust to take it then? that is the question..........
Sat 19/06/04 at 09:18
"LOLLERSKATES!"
I dont think beckham should take our penalties. He always looks uncertain, remember Vs argentina he muffed the ball straight down the middle but was lucky to get the goal. Always, Vs Turkey he tripped up and skied the ball miles over, and now, vs France he obviously went for "poncy placement" with no power. I reckon someone like owen should take the penalties as he is better coping with pressure, and if he misses, he wont get as much media bombardment than if beck's had missed. So no, Beckham should not take our penalties.
Sat 19/06/04 at 01:11
Regular
Colourless wrote:
> DW wrote:
> I used to be anti-David...by the way.
>
> You're one of his mistresses aren't you?

Well, people do call me Rebecca...
Sat 19/06/04 at 00:57
Regular
To be honest I had no idea why Beckham took the peno in the first place. Just think about how many times Beckham practiced taking penos against Barthez in his Man Utd days. Barthez would know Becks inside out. How he stands to take the kick, which direction he's going to put it, how his eyes work etc etc. So for him to take it was really stupid. The only problem is, is that Beckhams captain and therefore gets the last say in everything. Even if another player attempted to take the peno, Beckhams ego will step in and it'll be a no no for the other player.
Sat 19/06/04 at 00:38
Regular
"Colourless"
DW wrote:
> I used to be anti-David...by the way.

You're one of his mistresses aren't you?
Sat 19/06/04 at 00:31
Regular
I never read the main post, or any of the replies...

Beckham has taken nine penalties for England, right?

Scored :: 7
On Target :: 8
Missed :: 2
Off Target :: 1

He misses a penalty and everyone jumps down his throat. Perhaps it was in fact a good save, yet still a good penalty.

I used to be anti-David...by the way.
Fri 18/06/04 at 20:51
Regular
"Led Zeppelin"
Rooney let him take a penalty
Fri 18/06/04 at 18:25
Regular
KR wrote:
> I think Owen should take them

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHA AHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

i would rather Ian walker took them with a blindfold on and his legs tied together.
Fri 18/06/04 at 16:37
Regular
I think Owen should take them or Lampard, doesn't really matter which one as long as Beckham stops taking them. He says he will carry on taking them even if he misses the next FIVE . Somehow I dont think so.
Fri 18/06/04 at 13:16
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
True, i still have no idea how he got away with that against the Argentines

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.