GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Things Filmmakers should never do"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/04/01 at 09:30
Regular
Filmmakers, eh? They've got a pretty difficult job. Directors and producers can be hailed as heroes one minute and then derided for either ‘selling out’ or going too weird the next. It really is down to who is flavour of the month these days and what type of film is in fashion. Some people complain over directors selling out to Hollywood, but I feel that this is partly caused by the public. After all, if your films are not a commercial success then no one will give you backing for any new ones.

However, there are some points where film makers should never cross the line;

Casting – An American or French James Bond or Doctor Who? I don’t think so. There are some sacrosanct roles in film that just have to be played by a certain type of person. It’s bad enough when an American tries to do an English accent (see Dracula and Keanu Reeves for a good example of this) let alone try to portray a typically English based character. Also, Independence Day, what was that about? They got English actors (well, the army) and made them speak in a ridiculously ‘plummy’ accent, just to make sure everyone realised that they were English. Nutty!

Location – This is one that a lot of filmmakers are guilty of, if only to cater for the American market. It’s as if they think that something not set in an American town or city will not be successful over there. It’s amazing that Notting Hill didn’t get turned into Manhattan Island instead, although ‘quaint’ English towns seem to fair a bit better. It’s only recently that there has been a return to our shores for the setting of the occasional film, and most of those are because they’re British made.

Origins – Any fan of superhero films will know this one. For some reason, scriptwriters and directors steer as far away from the original story as possible when explaining a well-known character’s origins. X-Men is one of the few films where this hasn’t happened, although there are still a few differences, for the most part it was researched extremely well. Fans of Batman were tearing their hair out when they saw that he ‘created’ the Joker and vice versa, and as for Robin’s outfit... This is also the case for some biographical films or classic literature. Mary Reily, although having Julia Roberts as a main character (scoring many bonus points already) missed the point of Jekyll and Hyde completely.

So there you have it, I’m sure there are more things that these people shouldn’t do, aren’t there? Hopefully, if they stick to what they know and don’t get these things wrong, the world of cinema will be a better place. Either that, or it’s me being pedantic...
Sat 21/04/01 at 09:30
"possibly impossible"
Filmmakers, eh? They've got a pretty difficult job. Directors and producers can be hailed as heroes one minute and then derided for either ‘selling out’ or going too weird the next. It really is down to who is flavour of the month these days and what type of film is in fashion. Some people complain over directors selling out to Hollywood, but I feel that this is partly caused by the public. After all, if your films are not a commercial success then no one will give you backing for any new ones.

However, there are some points where film makers should never cross the line;

Casting – An American or French James Bond or Doctor Who? I don’t think so. There are some sacrosanct roles in film that just have to be played by a certain type of person. It’s bad enough when an American tries to do an English accent (see Dracula and Keanu Reeves for a good example of this) let alone try to portray a typically English based character. Also, Independence Day, what was that about? They got English actors (well, the army) and made them speak in a ridiculously ‘plummy’ accent, just to make sure everyone realised that they were English. Nutty!

Location – This is one that a lot of filmmakers are guilty of, if only to cater for the American market. It’s as if they think that something not set in an American town or city will not be successful over there. It’s amazing that Notting Hill didn’t get turned into Manhattan Island instead, although ‘quaint’ English towns seem to fair a bit better. It’s only recently that there has been a return to our shores for the setting of the occasional film, and most of those are because they’re British made.

Origins – Any fan of superhero films will know this one. For some reason, scriptwriters and directors steer as far away from the original story as possible when explaining a well-known character’s origins. X-Men is one of the few films where this hasn’t happened, although there are still a few differences, for the most part it was researched extremely well. Fans of Batman were tearing their hair out when they saw that he ‘created’ the Joker and vice versa, and as for Robin’s outfit... This is also the case for some biographical films or classic literature. Mary Reily, although having Julia Roberts as a main character (scoring many bonus points already) missed the point of Jekyll and Hyde completely.

So there you have it, I’m sure there are more things that these people shouldn’t do, aren’t there? Hopefully, if they stick to what they know and don’t get these things wrong, the world of cinema will be a better place. Either that, or it’s me being pedantic...
Sat 21/04/01 at 22:37
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
They also shouldnt take a popular cartoon and turn it into a feature length movie because this usually results in the death of that cartoon *COUGH* SOUTH PARK *COUGH*!
Sun 22/04/01 at 19:18
"possibly impossible"
Or turn them into partly animated movies. Disney are the only ones that seem to pull it off, which gets me thinking about the Simpsons project...
Tue 24/04/01 at 02:09
Any plotline were the baddie explains his diabolical scheme to James Bond (for example), before letting him die slowly, allowing him to escape by leaving him, should be avoided, as it is so predictable.

The point about english accents is spot on, most american would murder the english accent, and the same for english people playing the stereotypical english character.

Avoid these lines, that have been overused

"It's quiet, too quiet" "I've got a bad feeling about this"

Never make a film based on a computer game, as most computer games have no real plot. Or at least, this used to be the case. The likes of street fighter illustrate this nicely.

Animated features based on cartoon shorts tend not to work, but to make sure, make them live action.

Never cast arnold swatzenneger (or hulk hogan)in a comedy, it just doesn't work.

Sequels should only extend to 3, unless you have a very good reason. Most series finish at 3, and behond that, most ideas get tired. The only exceptions are epics, that have an extended plot, and series such as the carry-on films or the bond films, that are not sequels as such, but have the same cast or same characters.

I'll leave it at that, while I laugh maniacally (That can go in too, probably)

muhahahaha

Wed 25/04/01 at 22:25
"possibly impossible"
It's okay to use those kind of lines in spoofs though. True, it's been done a million times in spy films. You'd think the villians would be a bit more crafty than to actually tell the hero the whole plan in minute detail before they leave them unattended, wouldn't you?

"Ah, Mr Bond, I am going to use the no.2 switch on the alpha control panel to launch rocket no.14 in my secret lab on 54th avenue, but before I go I will leave you tied in loose ropes hanging over a single shark with a large knife close at hand. Oh, and I'll leave your magnetic watch on, just in case. Is that ok?"
Thu 26/04/01 at 13:37
Spoofs can do any of the above, because they are designed to show the absurbities of a genre they are spoofing. This is a notable exception to the rule.

Thu 26/04/01 at 19:45
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
And NOT doing it in a James Bond movie would equally be an appaling crime!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.