GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSX, PSOne. They seem awfully similar....."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/04/01 at 19:02
Regular
PSX and PSOne. Two consoles that are almost exactly the same thing. PSOne, a portable version of that old grey box. Come on Sony! You have obviously never seen a portable console ever. What is the use of making a console that is a halfway house between a GBA and a PSX. You have to attach a contoller to it!

Right. Imagine two men sitting on the train. They both have long journeys, and both are bored. Then, they pull out their games. GBA for on, PSOne for the other.

The man with the GBA (or GBC) filters through his small cartridges, slots one in, and then turns on his tiny compact console.

The man with the PSOne. He gets out his considerably larger CDs and then attaches his controller, with a lot of wires all over the place. I know which one i would rather have. The smaller no strings (or wires) attached GBA - The same power as the PSOne - Or a PSOne with an attachable screen, and Controllers on wires, and bigger games (in a literal sense). True, this is a worst cas scenario, when the wires get tangle dup etc, and I expect to get a lot of PSX zealots attacking me for this, but the PSOne is a half re-hash of the PSX with a supposed element of portability in it. Hmmm....
Mon 14/05/01 at 21:30
What the hell are you on about cyclone. Your obviously anti-sony so as to bring up a topic like this. the PSX was reaching the end of its life what with PS2 on the horizon. By changing the design and manufacturing add-ons etc, sony have breathed new life into the old little beast. A piece of marketing genius. They probably sold 10 times as many PS as they would have done last christmas as such.
Mon 14/05/01 at 20:51
I was thinking along the lines of those miniature DVD players you get. Not the ones with the integrated screen, just the player.

You could easily fit all in, (after all its not that much smaller than a PSOne anyway), black it up, put little PS2 style lights on it......

Voila, the PSX gets a new lease of life, but also is portable and looks good at the same time.

Sorry turbo, you may have missunderstood my intentions.........
Mon 07/05/01 at 16:29
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Tap a discman. What happens?

Pretend to play tekken on a discman. What happens?

A PSone with console-mounted buttons would require at least a 3-minute anti-shock. Equivelent to a high-end Discman. How much does a high-end discman cost?

Now, think of a recently released superconsole that you could buy for that amount of money.

See my point?
Sun 06/05/01 at 16:07
The GBA is officially "as powerful as the SNES" - so nowhere near as fast as the PSOne. Thats the real reason the GBA is smaller.

However, the PS2 has a PSOne within it, which only takes up about 10cmx10cm. Really, the PSOne should have been around the same size as a (thick) Discman.

Now theres a thought - a Sony Discman that plays PSOne games.....
Sat 28/04/01 at 13:34
Regular
Has anybody mentioned that they are the same console really, hence the similarities.
Thu 19/04/01 at 17:55
Regular
"gsybe you!"
The GBA and PS1 are around the same power, but as with the N64, the GBA uses cartidges, so it would look very different and have no FMV.
Sat 14/04/01 at 22:53
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Well the PSone will never be a portable as the GBA or GBC as it uses CD's. I think Sony wanted to redesign the console. As the PSone is very old technology they have been able to shrink everything down into a very small console. When the PSone was released people were still buying PS1's like they were running out so the new design tempted them even more as it is so small. I think its designed for people just to pack up and take to there mates house, instead of needing a big bag to carry it in, it could easily fit into a jacket pocket. Its also good for familys who already have the PS1. They can keep there games and use the PSone for in the car to keep the kids amused while they travel to the seaside or go out to the shops. Also the PSone is more powerful then the GBA I would have thought.
Sat 14/04/01 at 19:02
Regular
"gsybe you!"
PSX and PSOne. Two consoles that are almost exactly the same thing. PSOne, a portable version of that old grey box. Come on Sony! You have obviously never seen a portable console ever. What is the use of making a console that is a halfway house between a GBA and a PSX. You have to attach a contoller to it!

Right. Imagine two men sitting on the train. They both have long journeys, and both are bored. Then, they pull out their games. GBA for on, PSOne for the other.

The man with the GBA (or GBC) filters through his small cartridges, slots one in, and then turns on his tiny compact console.

The man with the PSOne. He gets out his considerably larger CDs and then attaches his controller, with a lot of wires all over the place. I know which one i would rather have. The smaller no strings (or wires) attached GBA - The same power as the PSOne - Or a PSOne with an attachable screen, and Controllers on wires, and bigger games (in a literal sense). True, this is a worst cas scenario, when the wires get tangle dup etc, and I expect to get a lot of PSX zealots attacking me for this, but the PSOne is a half re-hash of the PSX with a supposed element of portability in it. Hmmm....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.